8.29.2020

OK ZOOMER

They didn't mean for it, of course, but a couple of recent zoom student events just left me feeling down and old and un-hip. (not that I wasn't already any of those things, but still)  

First was a Virtual Entrepreneurship pitch night (like a Dragon's Den/Shark Tank kind of challenge) staged by eight universities that went well enough (and even gave me a promotion)...      


...but had guest judges and participants accomplished far beyond their (or my) years... 

...and featured a student body that exuded more cool creativity than anything I ever oozed during my college clearasil days.

in my entire youth, I never had occasion to dj or sing "at least you left my favorite t-shirt" to anyone

A week later, there was an online gathering of Filipino students at Macquarie University and I was invited to take part and deliver welcome remarks and thought I was doing pretty well and getting people excited and laugh with me until they flashed who the next guest speaker was

 

not since Alden's visit have I been so thoroughly outsmiled/dimpled on consulate premises

I mean, c'mon! He was introduced as a Macquarie alum and Host of Asia's Got Talent and WWF  Philippines National Ambassador and World Vision Philippines Ambassador for Disaster Risk Reduction and Preparedness so not only was he as smart and charming and articulate as you'd expect from those credentials he also apparently outranks me on the diplomatic order of precedence.

And contrary to what my old-man memory recollects, he in fact knows his National Flags and wasn't the one who botched that final Amazing Race challenge.  So I can't even shake my fist at that.   

Sigh. I need a nap.

No comments: