11.03.2008

G! F! M! D!...DERECHO, LA SALLE!



Just a quickie, throwaway post. I wasn't part of any of the GFMD events and only briefly attended the opening ceremonies, yet it was still fun to see all the diplomats (featuring Ban-Ki Moon!) in action, a scrubbed-up PICC, and the new batch of cadets scurrying around as LOs. Ah, memories.

Anyway, the acronym GFMD for whatever reason lent itself to everyone at the Home Office making up lame/silly meanings, from the non-sensical La Salle chant above, to "girlfriend mo daw".

And appropos of absolutely nothing, the GFMD initials kept on reminding me of one of my favorite Tropang Trumpo "Battle of the Brainless" segments. The question was something like, aling UMD ang magaling gumalaw? (the apparent correct answer being Universal Motion Dancers).

(Buzzz!)
Carmina: Ut and Mouth Disease?
Ogie: Mali. Ang UMD na 'to ay nakakagana, hindi nakakasakit.
(Buzzz!)
Smokey: United 'Merican Diki-Diki?
Ogie: Tama!

(then they all break out a silly dance to the United American Tiki Tiki jingle)

Like I said, appropos of nothing.

Other than I loved that show.



GFMD had a much more diversi-nationalTM crowd than the ASEAN events (as well as a better coffee break spread).





At least PICC listened to my suggestion (we're regularly in touch) and placed a Philippine gift shop on the premises. It was a rather small place to do pasalubong shopping, but I think all those delegates I saw at MOA later in the day made up for it (heck, I think they singlehandedly settled the country's trade imbalance).







And finally, a cute global habit at every multi-lateral event: at the venue's array of flags, delegates will take the time to search for their national flag and take pictures in front of it, sometimes even draping it on their shoulders or wrapping themselves in it. It's a really cool thing to look at (just ignore Rovilson wandering around).

2 comments:

Unknown said...

I think their first answer was:

Universal Motion Dancers

then:

Universal Macho Dancers

then nobody got the right answer and from what I remember, the host just rolled with it and said

"United Merican Diki diki"

The LLDD said...

Then where did I hear the sublime "Ut and Mouth Disease"?