10.09.2016

IT'S SUNDAY, I MUST BE IN...HONOLULU

Oh wow, one could get used to this.  

I mean, I haven't traveled much since getting recalled to the Home Office, but damn if Honolulu isn't one of the most chill places to be posted. The people are totally laid back, the weather's consistently perfect, the dress codes are relaxed, and the cityscape is just plain gorgeous. Legend has it our personnel's typical days go something like: commute/walk to the office via warm sandy coastline; put in a full-shift of work in comfy clothes; go home in the evening but under daylight; surf 'til it's time to sleep.

Like I said, total chill.


meanwhile, back in London


The thing about Honolulu is how comfortably familiar everything feels. It was my first time here, yet it seemed like I was meeting up with an old friend. All around me were triggers that took me to the happy places in my mind. Things like:


The beaches go all the way up to downtown's doorstep






where I can re-imagine my daily drive along Roxas Boulevard


The hotels and skyline are reassuringly recognizable






like a supercut of every establishing shot from Hawaii-Five-O and Magnum P.I.


You can't help but ponder the historical significance of Pearl Harbor





and how Michael Bay managed to botch it


Speaking of history, our Consulate's as venerable as heck





over 100 years old and counting, son


For that matter, the Philippine influence can be seen everywhere




although it took me several takes to recognize G on local TV


The vistas are as stunning as they are relaxing





just try not to imagine the "Lost" smoke monster's over the next ridge


The "Shaka/Hang Loose" hand sign is just too cool




but a pain for someone my age to pull off properly
(damn arthritis)


So there you have it. All the signs are there that Honolulu is one of the best places to be. Countless things going for it, few against. If ever you're asked whether you'd like to go there, don't put much thought into your answer. It's really a no-brainer.

That's not what I meant Honolulu, and you know it.

No comments: