6.21.2020

LOCKDOWN UNDER: BLESSING IN DISGUISE

While the caps on public gatherings have eased in Sydney and the city has opened up somewhat, many people are still in search of essential supplies. Fortunately, there's been a large number of big-hearted charitable individuals and groups that have stepped up and helped out those in need. It was quite uplifting then that the first official activity I took part in outside of the home or office since the lockdown began was a big food/clothes/care pack distribution event staged by one of the largest Fil-Com organizations in Sydney for the benefit of Filipino students still in the state.       

Inspiring, heartwarming stuff. The lightest moment for me came during my introduction as guest speaker: maybe because I hadn't personally seen or met with any Fil-Com for several months since lockdown, I must've been no longer a familiar face to them, because the person who publicly introduced me (who's actually met me many times before) told the crowd that my background was...from the academe(!)...and I had a doctorate(!)...in religious studies(!). 

I must confess...I didn't deny anything. I just...rolled with it. I simply didn't have the heart to correct anyone there, not after all the good, righteous work they'd already done.             

pictured: no saint

No comments: