7.30.2023

NORTH ART - SOUTH ART, VIA FIL - ART

To much fanfare, the Art Gallery of New South Wales opened last December its New/North/Modern wing, touted as the biggest, most significant culture and arts event in Sydney since the opening of the Opera House.  Epic, then. When we visited it a few weeks ago, the place was indeed big and awesome and there were in fact a lot of loud "Wow!"s heard from the family and by everyone unfortunate enough to be around us.


And my "favorite-as-soon-as-I-saw-it" installation was a fascinating, intricate, poignant overhead piece that played on the concept of what and where Home actually is -- and as it turns out, the artists were originally from the Philippines.

ctto

Fast forward to this week, and the LLDD-Hyphen-L and I get to attend a special viewing for the Consular Corps of this year's Archibald Prize awardees at the Gallery's Old/South/Traditional wing, and it too was as amazing as advertised.


And, once more, no big surprise, people were drawn to a moving, powerful family portrait made by an accomplished Filipina-Australia artist


If that wasn't inspiring enough, the children in the painting - none more than eight years old - collaborated on their own piece and were themselves finalists of the Prize's Young Artists awards.   


As I've said many times before, I may not know much about art, but I know what I like --  and I love all of this.   

No comments: