12.12.2007

IT'S SUNDAY, I MUST BE IN KUWAIT...OH WAIT, I'M HEADING HOME...NOPE, I'M STAYING...HOLD ON...


It was all just a blur.

First, I’m put on standby for an important trip to Kuwait. Then I’m told to cancel my booking. Then I learn at the last minute that my trip would push through. Then I find out I’d be flying in and out for just a few hours. Then, when I join everyone onboard the return flight and wait for takeoff, the pilot announces we’d all be staying overnight and should get off, pronto.

(pause while I gasp for breath)

In the end, it was all worthwhile as we accomplished our mission and headed home happy.

But the things we had to do that extra night with no spare shirts, socks or underwear – we shall never speak of again.


I arrive very early morning and crash at the embassy. My eyebags are set on “extra puffy”.




The Filipino community got the memo on dark suits.




That's my batchmate RO with the flowers. She hasn't finished cadetship yet, but she's been posted for a year now, and is doing a heck of a job as a kick-ass officer in Kuwait. Suck on that, "Institution!"



Work done, some long lost batchmates have just enough time to get together for a quick photo before takeoff (random meetings around the world among batchmates will be an increasingly frequent -and poignant- moment in the near future, as we start getting deployed to far off places in the coming months; it’ll be like a long running sitcom getting cancelled, and the cast later making special appearances on each other's new shows; or a Spice Girls reunion)




"This is your captain speaking. Our estimated departure is…um...sometime tomorrow. Y'all have to get off for now. But, hey, help yourself to the moist towelletes on the way out."



For the impromptu meeting with the Filcom, our hosts are kind enough to lend us one of their palaces (they had a few)



Next day. The people at the airport are probably saying “Are you guys still here?!” =)



No comments: