6.23.2018

FLURRY OF FREEZING FASHIONALISTIC FLAG-RAISINGS

(you'll have to pry alliteration from my cold, dead keyboard hands)

(hey, speaking of cold...)

I once joked in my first year in London that "our Founding Fathers first raised the Flag in June because they knew if they declared independence in say, January, all our diplomats abroad would have frozen over in their barongs." Well joke's on me now, because winter Down Under comes in June, and no amount of Shoemart camiso de chino layering can keep my teeth from chattering during all of the outdoor Independence month ceremonies. Fortunately, the cold hasn't deterred people from still coming out it their finest Filipiniana -- if anything, I've seen even fiercer use of our fabrics. And as I've said before, the Sydney Fil-com will fab out regardless and bring their own edgy, unpredictable heat to every occasion.   

Central Coast Flag-raising

See, right here. I'm all whiny about the cold, but the Fil-com sing, selfie and slay in thin traditional costumes and bahag all day.


Community Council's National Day Ball

Ok, this was obviously held indoors, so climate wasn't really a factor (other than the warmth exuded by the Philippine tourism photobooths)(and the ball was held in...the Four Seasons. Har!)


Parramatta Flag-raising

The dancers bravely did their thing, and I held out in my piƱa as long as I could, but ultimately almost everyone covered up towards the end (heck, even the Lord Mayor rocked a sweater under his chain)


Salu-Salo at the Consulate

Ok, again obviously indoors and I broke out some warm earth tones and OH MY GOD THEY BROUGHT A CAKE FOR EVERY PROVINCE IN BICOL


Blacktown Flag-raising

A bit of a wild card here. It started to rain but the event smoothly transitioned indoors. Towards the end of the program, a Tina Turner Tribute appeared, sidled up to the Lord Mayor, asked him straight up if she could be the next performer, and then handed him a usb containing her backing music. She then went up to the stage and proceeded to belt out...She Works Hard For The Money.

(I mean, c'mon, We Don't Need Another Hero would have worked better on so many levels)  


Official Residence Flag-raising

Activities shifted between indoors and outdoors, but nothing was cooler as the piano stylings of Russel, the consulate protocol officer.

Mabuhay!      

No comments: