6.24.2018

IT'S SATURDAY, I MUST BE IN (AND OUT OF)...WAGGA WAGGA

The Consulate has jurisdiction over the entire state of New South Wales, which itself is around two-and-a-half times the size of the entire Philippines. So it's actually possible to attend an event at a place so far off that you have to fly there but not so remote that you can't fly back home the same day. Jet-setter ang peg.  

Thus, one Saturday in June, I flew off to beautiful Wagga Wagga (the city so nice they named it twice) to take part in the local Fil-com's National Day festivities. Wagga is a regional and agriculture hub but the city itself is compact and close-knit and you can easily roll-off the plane, roll-up to the venue, and roll-out of the city within a tight window. Again, feeling touring rock star or visiting football team lang.  So my Wagga day went:

Morning - fly out of Sydney and into Wagga Wagga

the moment I touched down I wanted to tweet "what's up wagaaaaa!!" and "where my peeps at!!" and "what we doing tonight!!" and then I remembered I don't have twitter


Noontime - event is lit

Shoutout to the entire Wagga Fil-com. They turned out in force, their performances were modern yet distinctly Pinoy, they were joined at the celebration by a lot of non-Filipino friends (and even bosses), and -- perhaps because many work as butchers or in agri-business -- had some of the best lechon I ever tasted. Respect. 


Late Afternoon -  wait for return flight. chill.

no, really. malamig.


Early Evening - get caught between the moon and new york sydney 

  sounds crazy, but it's true

Nighttime - catch France v. Australia world cup match, see Australia lose on some bogus ref calls. Had I known, I would have stayed in Wagga Wagga.

No comments: